IllustratedATCs.com Artist Trading Cards - ATCs for Artists

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: KPinAK's Sketchbook & WIPs

Default KPinAK's Sketchbook & WIPs

I just bought a bundle of online art classes by various instructors. I thought this thread might be a good way for me to keep track of which courses I take (or at least start) and examples of what I learn from them.

So far I've started a brush lettering course. I see a "Quirky Bird" course that looks fun. A portrait class that I was already considering taking is in the bundle, so I pretty HAVE to take that one. So I expect I'll be posting a wide variety of things.
    I appreciate ALL kind or constructive comments, even if I don't thank you personally
    Now Hosting Gothic Arches Swap 1:1, 2:2 or 3:3, due June 21, 2017

My first attempt at brush lettering after working my way through most of a Molly McCean online class. I need more practice! She demonstrated with brush pens. I think it would be cool to figure out how to do this with watercolor and a paintbrush.
    Attached Images
    I appreciate ALL kind or constructive comments, even if I don't thank you personally

Oh wow pretty cool for first attempt! I just recently have been inspired by some artists that I follow on Instagram to start up lettering. I just got done ordering supplies today for it.
    I look forward to seeing what you share here!

PS - are you using brush pens for your lettering or nib pen?
    That quuirky bird course sounds fun! XD

Thanks! All Ive tried so far with brush lettering is a Faber Castell PITT pen with "B" brush nib.

I watched all the Quirky Bird videos & started sketching some. Big departure from my usual style :-). I have inktensed/gessoed backgrounds drying to making some in color.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by KPinAK View Post
    I watched all the Quirky Bird videos & started sketching some. Big departure from my usual style :-). I have inktensed/gessoed backgrounds drying to making some in color.
    Oh those are quirky!!! I love them! They seem fun!

I made the multilayered background, clear gesso'd it & sketched out 9 Quirky bird's per the tutorial. I've only colored in 4 though. I think I'll save the others for sometime when I'm arting with friends, perhaps with varying art interests, and maybe we can do as a group project.

(Note to self: Next time, use hot press wc paper instead of cold press (smoother). Try minwax instead of gesso (smoother) Reference Tamara Laporte or try sanding the gesso. Markering over liquid chalk may work also) )
    Attached Images
    Last edited by KPinAK; 04-15-2017 at 10:23 PM.

IMG_9598.JPGI've started the Colored Pencil Course now. It was in the Art Bundle of online art classes I bout a few weeks ago. It's by Matt Fussell of Thevirtualinstructor.com. I've taken a lot of his other material and I think he's great. Being a Yankee though (me), I have to listen to him at 1.5x speed :-). I found a bookmarklet that allows me to adjust the speed of vimeos.

I've watched 4 of the 22 modules so far. I did a part of the first practical application & sketched out the apples for the second. I think I'll watch ahead a bit when I can & work in the exercises when I can.

And just for s&g, me immediately pre-op for my first cataract surgery. Not happy about the "now we'll put your eye to sleep" part. Actual surgery was nothing compared to the anesthetic "application"
    Attached Images
    Last edited by KPinAK; 04-19-2017 at 06:10 AM.

Very nice and motivating thread! Thanks for sharing your art.
    I hope your surgery went well!

+ Reply to Thread