IllustratedATCs.com Artist Trading Cards - ATCs for Artists

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: KPinAK's Sketchbook & WIPs

Blog Entries

Wow! I love your pears and your chickens too! What a cool accomplishment! They'd look super together on a wall
    || Facebook || Store || Instagram || Blog || Etsy ||

THanks, Amerasu. That's a good idea! Even if I plan to sell them or donate them to fundraisers, I suppose they don't need to be holed up in a closet somewhere!! I'll have to think of way to do that. Or maybe just a wall to do it on!!
    Having fun in October on the Inktober Unofficial Challenge! Stop in the thread & visit!

I'm starting Day 5 today of a pretty intense Bob Burridge workshop. Here's most of my work so far. I've also been painting and, yes, collaging on my sketchbook covers, pencil box, watercolor bag, etc :-)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by KPinAK; 08-04-2017 at 02:38 AM.
    Having fun in October on the Inktober Unofficial Challenge! Stop in the thread & visit!

Oh wow the workshop progress looks amazing KP! Love all the art you are making!
    DeviantART | AFA
    ~Please contact me by email or AFA

My latest class, one I took with my son yesterday--3-D needle Felting of musk oxen. Ours are the two middle ones in the front row. The class was 1/2 adults & 1/2 kids. The kids did the best work.
    Attached Images

Those look super cute! I wish I could find a class nearby to learn needle felting, it always looks fun.
    DeviantART | AFA
    ~Please contact me by email or AFA

I just did something a little scary & crazy yesterday. I submitted a proposal for an exhibition at the International
    gallery of Contemporary Art here in anchorage.

Here's a link to the gallery : http://www.igcaalaska.org/

Here's a link to my submitted portfolio: https://goo.gl/photos/zfFMkPyS5RERvfNk8

I also had to submit an artist resume & narrative of the proposed exhibit. I havent needed to do any proposal-style writing for more than 10 years. Some of the process felt really familiar from when I used to write proposals for engineering companies. Some of it, I was TOTALLY out of my league. I don't yet know any of that language like "exploring & pushing the boundaries of contemporary art issues".

I think my biggest hope is that the panel gives me some helpful feedback and encourages me to reapply.

Blog Entries

Felt oxen are really cute!

I think your portfolio looks wonderful! It's very painterly and colourful. I think the wine and glasses are my fave. Best of luck with that!
    || Facebook || Store || Instagram || Blog || Etsy ||

Between getting really motivated at my last Bob Burridge workshop, starting "The Artist's Way" exercises, and getting some feedback from the IGCA gallery manager (see 2 posts previous to this one), I decided to sign up for a university art class!

I am now registered & paid up for ART 105--Beginning Drawing at University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF). It's an online class, so I'll be spending as much time trying to figure out how to navigate an online class, especially an online ART class, as I spend learning the basics of drawing.

I am *really* excited. If it's like when I took university classes 30 years ago, today was the most exciting day of the semester, when I go buy my class materials. Of course that's all online now, but I'm pretty good at figuring out how to BUY things online. haha. I also justified a trip to Michael's. I actually managed to leave Michael's with just one item.

The pads of paper on the class supply list are HUGE, especially compared to ATCs. Like 18x24". What's that about 45 ATCs? haha. Maybe drawing really large will be good exercise (ie like a physical workout) and I won't need to exercise on the days I draw. haha. That'll free up some time.

IMG_1594.JPGIMG_1582.JPGI attended my first live portrait painting session at the local International Gallery of Contemporary Art. Everyone else was painting with oils but I thought I'd start out just sketching. I haven't drawn any faces for a few months. And drawing from lifecreslly adds to the challenge!!

I'm excited for my university Drawing class to start tomorrow!

I actually ended up signing up for Beginning Drawing AND a Color & Design class, both online through University of Alaska. It is so interesting that nowadays, classes like that can be taught completely online. I'm really enjoying them both so far. Pics of some of my first assignments to come...

Here's was one of my assignments for my color class & one for my drawing class. For the drawing, it had to be my hand from life with a 15-minute time limit.

Oops. Forgot to make lo-res photos to attach to the last post. Here are my most recent color class assignments, all about tint, tone, shade, saturation & complementary grays...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by KPinAK; 09-09-2017 at 03:03 AM.

neat color studies, glad to see you are enjoying your new classes.
    They call me Sandra

I am no longer at the Hill View address

Fun Artist Date (a la Artist's Way exercises) at Barnes & Noble today. Told my son no interaction with mom for 30 min. He worked on his passion project blog for his school project. I love his school. I flipped through books and magazines I would normally not take the time to look through. Found some yummy-sounding Paleo recipes. Drooled in a knitting magazine then put it back in the shelf (just kidding). Ended up buying "Steal Like an Artist" book per a Bob Burridge recommendation & because the little guy said we should. Tough sale. Coincidentally, an artist friend of mine set up a table & started selling her kid books she writes & illustrates. I had to buy a copy of the one I don't have yet. And Alan helped her set up her display.

One of my assignments last week for my drawing class was to draw a Picasso line drawing of Stravinsky upside down. I had so much fun with it that I found a bunch more Picasso line drawings & did more on my own (also drawn upside down)
    Attached Images

I had fun weaving one of my color class assignments. We weren't necessarily supposed to weave it, but the teacher wanted us to show tonal, hue, saturation & size progression in two sequences. I used to do that a lot in my weavings, though I didn't necessarily know to call it that, and that's what gave me the idea to weave my color swatches.
    Attached Images

I finally got an assignment in my color class to paint some recognizable objects. One had to be a waterglass sitting on colored sheets of paper. The other could be just about anything, using one of our own photos as a reference. The objective was to use solid shapes of color. It feels very pop art to me!
    Attached Images

This was my favorite recent drawing class assignment, a contour drawing from life of a shoe or shoes...
    Attached Images

Here is one of this week's color class assignments--2 collages as similar as possible except one in prismatic colors & one in the same colors but earth tone versions.

I just officially applied for the degree program...here we go!
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread