IllustratedATCs.com Artist Trading Cards - ATCs for Artists

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3 person collaborations?

Default 3 person collaborations?

I did this last year with 2 friends and was looking at doing it here. Maybe as a kind of swap??
    The way it's done is each person draws an image (4x6 or 5x7 make it more fun), then the sketch from each person is sent on to the next persons where they would then ink it. And then again it's moved on to the next person for coloring. Then on it's way back home. Each person would end up with their original drawing.

Just yesterday, my 13-year-old asked why we don't do that. I'm interested in trying this!
    Keeping my eyes open for the next challenge...

Ooooh I'd love to do this, you could even make it so that each player adds something in the inking stage maybe? Like if one person does the sketch then when it arrived to me I could sneak a giraffe I. Haha.... just a thought. If we ever do this someone please notify me I'd be interested!
    Hosting a Giraffe Swap - due 10th Sep
    Ebay - Etsy - Facebook

You could also do a few smaller and sending them "the other way"... so you get cards inked by different people and coloured by others. Would of course be costlier.... I think it's a really cool idea, and would definitely be interested (if a bit scared to ink someone else's lines!)
    --------**--------
    Hi, my name is Anna!

Now hosting:

P&P - Artistic styles PAT - MAIL by May 31, 2019 RETURNS POSTAL!
    P&P - Time for a cuppa - MAIL by May 31, 2019 RETURNS POSTAL!

COME JOIN IN!

ALSO! It would be clever to add a bit of scrap paper or leave free paper around the finished card, so the person colouring has some paper to practice on!
    --------**--------
    Hi, my name is Anna!

Now hosting:

COME JOIN IN!

lol Noodlerabbit when I did it last year with a few friends they were ok with some changes, but I think it would depend on the people playing if you could add to it.

Kosmic seriously inking other people's stuff isn't that bad. I thought I would mess up a lot but I didn't, and as for scrap paper... that's the joy of computer paper I think the hardest thing I had was coming up with my sketch idea. Doing 3 smaller atcs would be fun but like you said it can get costly.

I meant a piece of paper to try out colours.. Would be so annoying to mess something up just because you are unfamiliar with the paper

It would be a fun way to fill up on themes!
    --------**--------
    Hi, my name is Anna!

Now hosting:

COME JOIN IN!

I love that idea of sending some scrap paper of the same type as the ATCs so we can test/practice :-)

I can see your point on that one. XD

We do this with journals only difference is that we start with only maybe an outline or colour on the page and then the other people add what they want as it progresses along the group.

This is a 3 person collaboration -theme was faces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anita Sherry Malissa july 2015 small.jpg  

Having a theme is a cool idea. That might minimize the chance of having to work on some subject that's really unappealing to you. heehee

I'd be into this type of collaboration.
    You can call me Cat or Cathy

I love to trade

Secret HALLOWEEN Swap! You know you want to play!

the MANDALA Swap!
    Jump on in the Urban Sketchbook MMH thread!

My Instagram

I think it's a fun idea. I agree themes and a scrap of the same paper for testing. I don't always add as many details to my sketch and do that during my inking stage I'll realize I want more and add it directly with ink our pencil more in. I think it would be cool to see what other details someone might add. I guess it depends how much blank space the person doing the sketch leaves whether the second person could add bigger elements. I don't have an opinion on it right now...sleepy brain

14. Default

This sounds very fun, and its nice that the original artist who sketched it gets to keep the finished piece.

I will work on doing this maybe next month?? got too much going to right now that i cant

I'd be down for this. It sounds cool.

In licensed sketch cards, this is called a jam. I've done a few with mixed results. We sometimes would draw one entire figure, inked and colored on one half of the card, mail it to the other artist and they would do another figure or the background, and mail it on to the art director for approval. Another way to do it is draw the entire card, then the next artist does the inks and/or colors. Both ways can be great, but the first way tends to be a little less fluid looking if you jam with an artist who has a noticeably different style than you. The second way is my favorite, it lends a really cool mixed hybrid of the two styles without losing the overall flow of the piece. I haven't done any outside of licensed sets but I think it would be really great to do with this group!
    Kylie Johnston
    www.kjarting.com

I'm looking at doing the 2nd way you listed kjarting. :3 I have 2 swap ideas I want to do, I think this will be the 2nd swap I plan on hosting. The 1st idea I have I think will be faster to do and send out.

I will be doing more with this after I'm done hosting my 1st swap.

+ Reply to Thread