IllustratedATCs.com Artist Trading Cards - ATCs for Artists

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Minagi's = Honeyacid's Step by Step Thread!

Lightbulb Minagi's = Honeyacid's Step by Step Thread!

I love to see how pieces of art take shape; for me, viewing how a piece is made step by step (either in real life or via photos) is often even more interesting (not to mention more educational) than seeing the finished piece.

I decided to create this thread just in case you share my love of progress photos - and as a "thank you for inviting me back to the world of ATCs after a 7-year break"-present for you all!

------------

The piece I'm featuring first is a school project titled "St. Shulgin in Ecstasy" that I finished earlier today. It is based on http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...in_Ecstasy.jpg - Caravaggio's "St. Francis in Ecstasy". We were supposed to take a famous, classical painting and use the composition and theme (but not the painting style) to create something new that works both as an independent piece of art but also as a commentary on the original.

I replaced St. Francis with Dr. Alexander Shulgin, the highly acclaimed chemist who is known as the father of such drugs as ecstasy. He was an advocate of using these drugs in therapy sessions, under professional supervision and guidance. (Dr. Shulgin died in June, so this is also my homage to him.)

The course assignment specified that we must first make a monochromatic acrylic underpainting and then finish the piece with oils. The size of this painting is 70 x 100 cm (around 28" x 39"). Painting a human figure was quite challenging for me - I'm a newcomer when it comes to oils, and I haven't painted any humans/portraits in years, as I've specialized in abstract landscape-type things.

Finished piece on my easel!

Blocking in the black background in acrylics

Preliminary paint strokes on the angel

Both the angel and Shulgin are starting to take shape

Adding some preliminary flourishes; the angel starts to disintegrate

Further disintegration

And further...

And further, plus adding some background trees

Fine-tuning details + Shulgin's face

Fine-tuning hands and folds of Shulgin's lab coat

Switching to oils - first patches of color applied, mostly in thin glazes

Covering the lab coat with mixes of atrament black and white (I love atrament black but here it's just too cold)

General coloring continues

Adding glazes of indian yellow to the lab coat to make it warmer; also, covered the black acrylic background in a thin glaze of Payne's gray (hence the annoying glare)

Making the bottom of Shulgin's form much darker; covering the foreground plants in thin glazes of oil; also, adding in a last minute snake-like figure descending from the "tree" in the background (reference to the rod of Asclepios and to the biblical snake)

Finished! Tell me what you think & feel free to ask any questions. If you find these sorts of photo series interesting I will post more in the future

Blog Entries

Looks gorgeous, Minagi! Cool to see your process too. Very interesting with the glazing

Nice to see you back. The last I heard from you, you were going into medical school or something like that. Looks like you switched study tracks? If you're taking art at school I mean.
    || Facebook || Store || Instagram || Blog || Etsy ||

Blog Entries

I LOVE this! I find progressions very inspiring, and I love seeing the thought process of the artist. Your painting here is great, and your assignment parameters were interesting. What a creative approach, and the finished piece really communicates the concept well!
    I have a new Address! The old one still works (my mom lives there) but PM me for the NEW one

Amerasu: thank you! I'm just starting experimenting with glazing - painting in multiple layers during multiple days and weeks is really alien to me as I prefer to finish pieces in one (manic) sitting. And yep, I did go to medical school for three years. Then I quit and after a battle with severe depression I started art school in 2012. (I still can't believe I got in - only something like 3% of applicants were as lucky.)

EraserQueen: thank you! It's nice to know that this thread didn't go to waste

How have you both been since we last communicated? (I guess it must have been around 5-7 years ago...)

Blog Entries

Yay for art school!! That's a big change but happiness matters! You might not be as rich but you'll have a lot more fun I think.

I've been fine. Still plugging away at art related things and trading the occasional art card here and there.
    || Facebook || Store || Instagram || Blog || Etsy ||

Amerasu: Good to hear

If you're interested, you can find some of our alumni and current students here (don't worry, there is an English version): http://www.taideinstituutti.fi/

Blog Entries

I have been doing well! I am working full time at our local university Science Library, which I really enjoy. I took at trading hiatus in 2013 because I was still taking classes for my masters program and my mom was hospitalized over the summer. I am planning on graduating this spring I am so glad to see you are pursuing art over medicine - you have so much talent. Do you have any specific directions you are looking to take your work in?
    I have a new Address! The old one still works (my mom lives there) but PM me for the NEW one

I wish your mother is feeling better! Also, pre-congratulations on the upcoming graduation

I haven't formed a clear picture of where I'll take my art. Lately I've been interested in analytic cubism and combining computer pixel art with more traditional forms of art. The art world can be nasty and super-competitive. Luckily my dreams aren't that big, so maybe I'll just be content with showing and selling my works online instead of trying to reach the entire world with Spectacular Mind-Blowing Things. I'll be glad to do My Thing quietly in the corner. (Also, setting up real-life (solo) exhibitions is absolutely exhausting (not to mention expensive), and my mental condition is, uh, not really up to par.)

I need to decide soon whether I'm going to specialize in printmaking or painting for the last two years of school - we'll see...

Blog Entries

Minagi this is so creative and flows beautifully with enough contrast to catch you.. fantastic job and really hope you enjoy your art journey
    Never give up on a dream, because of the time it is taking to accomplish it.. The time will pass anyways.

Totally rad painting!
    Quriosity hasn't killed this Qat yet

+ Reply to Thread