IllustratedATCs.com Artist Trading Cards - ATCs for Artists

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: CindyD's Project Thread

Those are all great, Cindy!
    My name is Lucy and I read art blogs.

Wow! Awesome Cindy! Painting every day—yay! And doesn’t it feel CRAZY to paint that big??
    Keeping my eyes open for the next challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by KPinAK View Post
    Wow! Awesome Cindy! Painting every day—yay! And doesn’t it feel CRAZY to paint that big??
    Thanks Rosecake and KPinAK! it is crazy to go big. But I totally dig it. Wish it didn't use up so much paint, particularly because I think Golden Open is the one I need to switch to. Eek.

Cindy, you might want to try novacolors. That's what Bob Burridge uses. commercial-grade outdoor mural paint, same really high level of pigmentation as holbein and other high-end, but about 1/3 cost. novacolorpaint.com. Call & they'll send you a free color chart with actual blobs of the paint. Maybe try their smallest jar (4oz) of one or two colors to see if you like the consistency. It's not a heavy body, but I don't know if it's as thin as golden open. I have 16oz each of about 20 colors. It's economical enough I don't mind using tons of it on big paintings :-)

I wish you & I lived near each other and I'd give you some to try. At least they ship to IL. They won't ship to AK, so I usually ship to my dad in Chicago then fly it home with me.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm still working out what kind of brushes and mediums, AND paint and everything. I did look at Bob Burridge's work and it's definitely a looser and thicker paint style than mine, so I don't know! But I may give it a try because cheaper with similar pigment level sounds pretty good.

Both your life drawings and acrylic paintings are beautiful! I envy that you have 3 hours to do a life drawing. My group only get's about 4 to 5 twenty minute poses - never enough time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapa View Post
    I envy that you have 3 hours to do a life drawing. My group only get's about 4 to 5 twenty minute poses - never enough time for me.
    Yes, it was a great long pose class. Often 2 sessions (so 6 hours) with the same pose. But I don't go anymore because the leadership changed. Though, I really should continue with it. On the other hand, for now my free time (and money) is for learning acrylics.

Spent a third day on this 16" x 20" (already posted days 1-2 but it's nice to see them together) (and that's three days averaging 2-3 hours, so not all day!) And here is my palette for the second day (start and finish).
    Also, realized 1. my lighting is terrible (for photos AND for painting), and 2. photos are slightly better with overhead light in the bathroom.

[EDIT: This painting is still not finished]
    Attached Images
    Last edited by CindyD; 01-15-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Blog Entries

I am so loving your animal series this month! It's all been pretty spectacular and that eagle?! Holy WOW! It's looking AMAZING! I hope you share more WIPs and paintings this month!
    || Facebook || Store || Instagram || Blog || Etsy ||

Thanks, Amerasu! The eagle is probably the first one that made me think maybe I could do painting. It did not hurt that I went back to it over several days. Because of that thing where a painting ALWAYS looks terrible at the beginning. And middle. And some of the end! I don't know if I'll go back to that one, though I would not call it finished.

For my learning to paint acrylics every day in January 2018, here is a bat in progress. Painted from a black and white photo. Progress over three days. 16" x 20" acrylics. Pretty big!

I had been using Golden's Retarder and more rarely, the Acrylic Glazing Liquid, both on your recommendation some ages ago, Amerasu! Recently I picked up some Golden Acrylic Medium. (Both matte and gloss because I had no idea which I would prefer.)

And watching lots of videos. Will Kemp has some good basic ones. I am considering buying his acrylic painting class (about $60 I think) because I am certain there is a lot of basic info I just don't know. As an example of his free videos, here is one on mixing purple usng different blues and reds. He also has a short series on acrylic mediums.
    Attached Images

I love actually seeing the *progress* of your works in progress. So cool!

Aren't Will Kemp's tutorials great? I really like his videos.

Regarding matte vs. gloss, based on what I learned in a couple Bob Burridge workshops, I've been putting a finish over my acrylic paintings lately. It seems to deepen the tones. And it gives the painting an even amount of matte or gloss, depending what finish I use. Bob uses Minwax Polycrylic water-based. I had been using glossy, but last night I tried a can of satin I just bought, and I love it, too. And it's a little easier to photograph because it doesn't glare as much.

Quote Originally Posted by KPinAK View Post
    Bob uses Minwax Polycrylic water-based. I had been using glossy, but last night I tried a can of satin I just bought, and I love it, too. And it's a little easier to photograph because it doesn't glare as much.
    Right! Glare is one thing I worried about with glossy versions of things. As for the finish, do you mean a varnish? I mean, I guess a whole bunch of the mediums can be used over a finished piece, though I think(?!) I have read for the very final layer of protection to be varnish. But this involves actually finishing a painting lol, and I am not even sure how to decide when that would be.

I am hoping to just continue. And if so, I will have SO MANY canvases all over. I will paint over some. Otherwise I am not sure.

Thanks so much for the nice comments and also the tips!

You can paint over polycrylic water-based minwax if you decide to rework anything.

Last Jan I did 30 big (>5x7”) acrylic paintings. Over the course of the year, some of them grew on me. The others I plan to paint over for the Feb challenge.

Here is production for the last week or so. The most recent hound dog was started after I re-watched a video I had watched a long time ago, how to paint in a looser style by Lachri Fine Art. I didn't watch her videos for a long time because in one she suggested Hobby Lobby for supplies and made light of the fact that they think they should be able to make healthcare decisions for their employees. Or maybe she did not realize that is what they do/have done.

In any case, it's a pretty good video and I am giving her the benefit of the doubt regarding the other things. She seems like a nice person and she does have some good instructional videos. I did mostly stay to a looser style for the underpainting and I think it made a difference for the better. She did say don't use a smaller brush, and I did use a small-ish brush for the eyes and probably should not have. I hope to spend more time on that one today. /end ramble.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by CindyD; 01-27-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Awesome, Cindy! I love seeing the progress of those pieces.

I’ve watched a lot of Lachri and have learned a lot from her videos. I ignore sidebar stuff on all YouTube art stuff I watch :-). Just give me the meat!! I like how she talks fast. On most other instructional-type videos, I have to watch at 1.5-2x speed (and turn on captions because some enunciation gets lost in the speed up) to stay interested (and pause when I need to catch up) :-)

March 6-8, 12" x 16" acrylic portrait in progress

So there I was painting all through January. Every day! Until the last day, Jan 31. And then February came and went. I knew if I stopped painting one day I might end up stopping longer, which is exactly what happened.

Every single day it was a struggle to do it. So, I know that about myself! Partly it's because I am not very good at acrylics yet and so much of the process is frustrating. And of course my number one issue - how the first 85% of the painting looks terrible and ugly as heck. I know I mention this all the time, but it will always be true and ugh, frustrating.

Anyway! I plan to be back at it for March! And I'm switching to people for now. I've watched LOADs of portrait painting tutorials. So many good ones (some acrylic, some oils with acrylic underpainting, some oils). A few favorites:

Artyshils Art - Acrylic painting techniques

Gordon Berger Art - Painting a portrait

Pypah's Art - Acrylic Speed Painting #3

LarrivaArt - Sabine and Contrition
    Attached Images

Beautiful painting! ANd I want to check out those videos!!

Lovely portrait Cindy, I am glad to see you are pursuing acrylics.
    They call me Sandra

I am no longer at the Hill View address

Thanks, KPinAK!

Oh hey, it's waughtercolors! Thank you and nice to see you!

Here is progress over 3 nights or so. Just an hour or two at a time really, or sometimes less. Work and a commute are tiring, but I know I have it pretty good compared to lots.
    16" x 20" acrylics
    It's still hard to get past the ugly first 80% of a painting omg.
    Attached Images

The type of work your doing these days in this thread should lend itself well to our April challenge. I can’t wait to see what the prompts are :-)

+ Reply to Thread