IllustratedATCs.com Artist Trading Cards - ATCs for Artists

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ATC measurents yes or no !!!

1. Default ATC measurents yes or no !!!

another if question. Do ATCs have to follow the complusory measurements or is it ok to make ATCs with wings, flowers, etc protruding off them so they don't fit inside the sleeve.
    Sorry gals been a while out of the ATC world and finding so many different interpretations in the measurent field too. I know when we do private trades we see what we are trading for , or some swap hostesses stipulate this in the swap rules, but if they aren't are you happy receiving these type of protruding ATCS ? Would love your feedback on this.
    ciao joan in italy
    It's nice to be important ,
    but
    it's more important to be nice.

www.craftinitalia.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

I don't mind if the swap guidelines state that the ATC will have things hanging off the sides. I guess I don't really mind if I find out after a trade either, as long as it folds up to fit into my binder sleeves. I prefer the standard size mostly but it's not a big deal I guess.

|| Facebook || Store || Instagram || Blog || Etsy ||

3. Default

so the most important thing is that the ATC will fit into it's binder sleeve even if a little protrudes off. I've been getting a lot of ATCs with things protuding off the bottom , top and sides and can't get them to fit into my binder sleeves .
    I don't mind dangly things with beads ecc but as Amerasu says I can get these to fit into the sleeves.
    It's nice to be important ,
    but
    it's more important to be nice.

www.craftinitalia.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Yeah, they're a pain in the ass to store. I keep the ones with unfolded dangly bits in a box. No one gets to see them since they're not in the binders, lol.
    || Facebook || Store || Instagram || Blog || Etsy ||

In trading on other sites I got things that stuck way off the sides. It became enough of a discouragement to me (I hate not being able to put things in my binders)---that I actually state now in non-Iatc swaps that I prefer my cards to not have things extending beyond the 2.5 by 3.5 size.

I do consider things that can fold into those dimensions and be put into the sleeve a bit of a different story. They can fit in the binder, and are better.

I think if it's not 2.5 x 3.5 (or designed to fold up into that size) it's technically not an ATC, right? That's one of the only rules. It can be something wonderful in its own right, but not an ATC.
    I've left the desert wasteland that is Phoenix.
    Please PM for my California address if you've got the old one.

Blog Entries

I don't think those sorts of additions to an atc should be a surprise. If you are trading you should be very clear about what you are making, and what you want to receive. I'm sure most people wont have a problem with it, as long as they know what to expect and/or have the chance to say they don't like dangly bits.
    Website ** Instagram ** Etsy Shop
    I'm taking life one trade at a time.

Rhode Island, USA; No, it's NOT in New York...

One of the ONLY rules re: ATCs is that it measure 2.5x 3.5". It must fit into a "penny sleeve". I make ATCs with wings etc, but they fold into the proper size so as to fit into the sleeve.

In the case of cards that are thicker, have items hanging off the sides, etc., I have seen sleeve pages that vary in size. I was looking into binders, pages, etc. online and saw these, ranging from 3 to 6 pockets-

- 3 Currency and Coupon Pockets
    - 3 4"x6" pockets
    - 6 Sleeve Pages (for taller cards, bookmarks, etc.)
    - 4 4"x6" vertically oriented pockets
    EvisceratedUnicorn @ Wysp
    evisceratedunicorn @ Tumblr (personal blog)
    evisceratedunicorn-art @ Tumblr (art/WIP blog)
    EvisceratedUnicorn @ Instagram
    Eviscerated Unicorn Artwork @ Facebook

I'm a bit late to this discussion but I'll just mention that the thickness issue applies more to ATCs traded through the mail due to postal regulations adding additional cost. I've got a lot of extra chunky ATCs from my local live trade group, and one year of of our group members, who is a Michael deMeng junkie, taught a workshop on making "Fat ATCs" (FATCs or Fatsies) where we experimented with all sorts of textures and materials. (Some pix are here: https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=18774104@N00&q=fatc ) I use 4x6" photo sleeves to store the ones that won't fit in the regular trading card sleeves. I've displayed them in the 7 Gypsies ATC sized trays that hold 12 cards - some pix from our show in the spring: https://www.flickr.com/photos/vintag...57644079220696

+ Reply to Thread