IllustratedATCs.com Artist Trading Cards - ATCs for Artists

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1 - 2 - 3 Stage Art Swap?

Blog Entries

Default 1 - 2 - 3 Stage Art Swap?

I have really been enjoying the dynamics between artists here, and I kind of liked the idea of group project work, but what if you started a set of cards, sent them expecting to make it, but they don't...project ruined, RIGHT?. It made me start thinking of how dedicated and differently paced people are, too.. but what if...

what if a swap happened where there were three stages of themes to incorporate, but the themes were released in different stages.

week 1 and 2: sign ups

End of week 2: first theme released for the basis of mood, background, setting of the cards. (Example: trees, flowers, castle, war, splash..whatever)

week 3 and 4: artists start and post to forum

End of week 4: (no more sign ups) theme two (princess, warrior, cottage, superhero, cat..whatever)

week 5 and 6: artist add to the cards (OR DON'T AND WAIT) and don't post

End of week 6: final theme of DETAILS to add to background or character or focus topic (literature, arrowhead, feathers, heat, Darkness...whatever)

week7 until end of swap: artists finish, post, and send.

It is entirely lead by the host, but the group finishes the sets as a group and it is suspenseful and can be discussed and suggestions added to the host to keep the dynamics interesting.

Example:

theme one could be : Night

so people could discuss and end up starting to get their cards ready with color or moons or darkness. then theme 2 could be a topic of discussion and be suggested, but still picked by the host (sketch, paint or however you start)

theme 2: wild

so people could discuss their topics of the theme, start the second stage or wait until the last theme. We could end up with a Native American on a cliff in front of a moon, a rock band in a cemetery, or a crazy Muppet telling a ghost story at this second stage.

theme 3: literature

uh oh! gotta either add some lines of a fave poem, a threatening letter, a word, or add a book or scripture in somewhere....wherever your creativity takes you.

Anyways it will be interesting to see how the swap would not be one thing that people go their own way with , but all swappers would be involved in taking and developing their cards.

WOULD THIS BE FUN OR FRUSTRATING? OR HAS IT BEEN DONE BEFORE AND I'M JUST OBLIVIOUS? THAT HAPPENS.
    Never give up on a dream, because of the time it is taking to accomplish it.. The time will pass anyways.

Blog Entries

I think you've got an original idea here! I don't think this has been done!

It sounds like it could be really fun, with lots of opportunities for chatting, but I think I (personally) might have trouble planning my composition without knowing all of the elements that would ultimately be incorporated. Does that make sense? This might just be me.
    Know what I love a lot? TRADING! With you! PM me!

Blog Entries

or would it be a new way for you to compose? could be interesting or frustrating... that is why I wanted to see what you guys thought.
    Never give up on a dream, because of the time it is taking to accomplish it.. The time will pass anyways.

Blog Entries

Oh totally! It could be a great learning experience! I'm up for a challenge!

I'd be totally down with it

Blog Entries

It could end up with some really cool outcomes that could surprise people, or it could really end up with things people don't like and they would withdraw. I think it would really be interesting to see if people would like it though...

The only thing is ... if I start one like this, I need to make all aspects clear.

Should there be an overall theme to get people interested/? or should I invite?
    Is above clear enough? should it be reworded?
    Should it be three cards, one postcard, multiple postcards, or small 4x4 canvas?

What would you be interested to do?

I think an overall themes are always helpful, and making the individual elements open to interpretation would help too! Especially since we're all not at the same level on all subjects (like i suck at animals, for example.. hahah).. You should ALWAYS invite! Especially look for threads that are different than the average ATC swap, like the whisper round the campfire, and invite people who played in them.

You'd probably get more players if it's ATC size. I'm happy to do any size

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'll do any size, too, but there are some people who ONLY collect ATCs, so I second that.

I like the idea of an overall theme, too, so people have some general idea of what's coming when they sign up.

definitely interesting, although I skimmed the directions a bit...it does sound intriguing!

Blog Entries

I think I will get it ready and start it up next week after I get my other swap I am hosting sent out.

Quote Originally Posted by oddbreed View Post
    definitely interesting, although I skimmed the directions a bit...it does sound intriguing!

lol! Me too! I do agree with Ann though... it might be difficult to get anywhere if you don't know "the whole picture". It's definately a chanllenge though!

Looks interesting ^^ I'm not sure if I can promise I'll have time during those weeks. I have a job with not very steady work load ^^;

+ Reply to Thread