IllustratedATCs.com Artist Trading Cards - ATCs for Artists

View RSS Feed

nicci

Gel Pens Are Evil

Rate this Entry
Nothing annoys me more than reaching for a gel pen only to have it not write properly, or at all! As you can see from the image below, it sort of worked here.

I find that they're iffy on super glossy surfaces, iffy on matte surfaces, but love a semi-matte surface just fine. Why, why must an acrylic painting always wish for gel pen, only to have it work some of the time? Gellyroll pens, you are my baaaane. And yet I love you so.

Anyone have any tips/tricks to share when working with gel pens? Tapping them every half latter makes me crazy.
Tags: pens Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

1. Tlouey -
    I thought it was just me!! GAR gel pens annoy me!!
  2. Tlouey -
    ...i like them in theory... but they are always letting me down
  3. dina54 -
    Start the ink flowing on a test paper, then BARELY press down on the actual work area, letting the ink flow off the edge of the pen. Takes a bit of practice but it works great especially on glossy surfaces.
  4. EraserQueen -
    Girlfriend, you NEED a Sakura Souffle pen! They were meant for glossy non-porous surfaces.

http://www.sakuraofamerica.com/Pen-Opaque

they have great white pen 3-packs. And the ink really is NOT very 3D..it doesn't feel like you're drawing with puff paint or anything LOL.
  5. Amerasu -
    Looks like I need one of the Souffle pens, lol! I usually do what Dina does - keep a piece of dark scrap paper handy and every time my gel pen acts naughty, I scribble on the scrap til good and then go lightly.
  6. nicci -
    i tried what Dina suggested, never works for me. i think i write too much! hmm i have wanted to try the Souffle pens. they've been on my dickblick wishlist for 2 years lol! will have to get some for my glossy stuff!