Blog Comments

1. Ziptango -
    Interesting concept and good execution, btw
  2. HeavenPhoenix -
    That's one awesome project, really!
  3. HeavenPhoenix -
    These are waaaay cool!!
  4. nicci -
    =D ty! there are some way cool hands from other folks popping up all over the thread at afa. eye candy, big time.
  5. Tlouey -
    THOSE ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I so love it!
  6. EraserQueen -
    I love the candy colors, these are great
  7. Tlouey -
    those are gorgeous
  8. EraserQueen -
    These look awesome! I love your colors
  9. arekanderina -
    i LOVE your way with hearts! i like using them symbolically in art too, it's such a simple but beautiful theme.
  10. Amerasu -
    Gorgeous!!! They're so cool and funky!
  11. HeavenPhoenix -
    This is very pretty. I love how the flower pops out of the b/w image.
  12. HeavenPhoenix -
    Oh wow, your hearts are absolutely amazing!!! I looove them =) Hearts are quite recurrent in my work too. And that installation rocks!
  13. nicci -
    Quote Originally Posted by EraserQueen
    The only reason I like gouache is because I can go over it again with a little water. You can't go back with gesso LOL. But experience has made it so I need to 'correct' less and less, so I don't use it much any more.'

So I suppose if people like gouache, they must make a lot of mistakes they don;t like!

Also, I think if you get gesso in your watercolor cake tray, it dries permanently and messes up your paint? *shrug*
    Hmm. The going over it thing seems to make sense. Then again, if I go over something, it's generally a full re-paint, so gesso is ok.

As for the getting gesso into the cake tray, I usually add the color to the gesso, not the other way around. I haven't had a problem with it messing up the cakes if it does get onto them, though!
  14. EraserQueen -
    The only reason I like gouache is because I can go over it again with a little water. You can't go back with gesso LOL. But experience has made it so I need to 'correct' less and less, so I don't use it much any more.'

So I suppose if people like gouache, they must make a lot of mistakes they don;t like!

Also, I think if you get gesso in your watercolor cake tray, it dries permanently and messes up your paint? *shrug*
  15. EraserQueen -
    I am addicted to looking at that first photo there..something about the way the orange blends with the gesso is so creamy and delicious looking. If you ever wanted to trade something white and orange, or yellow, white orange and light turquoise, lemme know! I collect those colors! I'd be happy to make you art in your favorite colors
  16. arekanderina -
    oooh glad to see that you're sharing your story too seems that everyone has had periods where the take a break from art, glad that you went all out with your art major anyway

my art teacher once told me that being able to use bright and bold colors is a sign that you're being braver with your art.

your 'little goddess' made me giggle a little!
  17. nicci -
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenPhoenix
    These fold outs are awesome!! It was nice to read your story.
    Thanks! I love ATCs that push the definition of what most people consider to be 'the right format'. I break that rectangle as often as possible. Shaped goddess and shaped hearts are 2 favs.

I hope to read your story too. I think that would actually make a great zine topic -- how people got started in art.
  18. nicci -
    Quote Originally Posted by EraserQueen
    I LOVE hearing these stories! I should write mine but it seems lame compared to what you guys are writing LOL I love seeing the progression of your art though various styles!

It all really does come back to what we did in Kindergarten.

this is actually pretty true! I was in kindergarten for maybe two weeks until my mom removed me. But during that time I got super messed up. I tried to color a leaf orange and got yelled at, so colored it the "correct" color, Green. Now I paint weird purple or green people once in a while and I can say "Take that Mrs. J!"
    You should write your own! I'm definitely curious about the ladies whose swaps I join and whose art I receive aaaall the time. How did you progress? How did it start? Shaaare!

Man, I would have been so indignant as a little kid if someone told me I was using the wrong color. When I was in 1st or 2nd grade, a year or 2 after that, I was corrected on a paper I wrote. It was a fill in the blank assignment, and there was a blank for a name. Something like ______ likes to go fishing. So you had to put in a name. We were learning basic grammar.

Anyway, I put in Ferd. My teacher marked it out and wrote Fred. In red pen!! Boy, I marched myself and my paper up to her desk and said, "Excuse me, my Dad's name is Ferd." Short for Ferdinand, of course.

You know what. We should have a Science Fiction Nature swap or something like Girls with Blue Hair swap just to honor the people who tell us we're doing it wrong =D.
  19. EraserQueen -
    I LOVE hearing these stories! I should write mine but it seems lame compared to what you guys are writing LOL I love seeing the progression of your art though various styles!

It all really does come back to what we did in Kindergarten.

this is actually pretty true! I was in kindergarten for maybe two weeks until my mom removed me. But during that time I got super messed up. I tried to color a leaf orange and got yelled at, so colored it the "correct" color, Green. Now I paint weird purple or green people once in a while and I can say "Take that Mrs. J!"
  20. HeavenPhoenix -
    These fold outs are awesome!! It was nice to read your story.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast