PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Tree Swap DUE Sept 30, 2007

Gingersnap
07-25-2007, 10:30 PM
4 for 4
SORRY-NO MORE SIGNUPS
Due in my home by September 30, 2007 (no later-no excuses)

I love trees. I was hoping many of you do too. Any type of tree, elm, birch, etc. I would like hand drawn and painted/inked trees with lots of detail in the trunk. Leaves are optional and not even necessary at all since I believe that all of the drama is in the trunk. Beautiful, colorful NATURAL (like sky, sunset, grass, etc.) backgrounds would be nice too. I have provided samples and please remember REALISTIC--NOT FUNKY.

ALL CARDS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED AND THEY WILL ME IN THE MAIL TO YOU ON OCTOBER 1ST. THANK YOU ALL FOR DOING SUCH FABULOUS WORK WITH YOUR TREES. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS.

she got 'em 1. Gingersnap-received al fresco gal, Amerasu, Judithian, pixeldog
she got 'em 2. EraserQueen-received leahfelicity, Adriayna, anonevyl, TabLynn
she finally got 'em 3. Amerasu-received Meran, leahfelicity, Gingersnap, anonevyl
she got 'em 4. TabLynn-received Meran, leahfelicity, anonevyl, EraserQueen
she got 'em 5. Adriayna-received al fresgo gal, EraserQueen, pixeldog, Judithian
6. Pixeldog - received Adriayna, al fresco gal, Gingersnap, anonevyl
she got 'em 7. Anonevyl - received Amerasu, TabLynn, pixeldog, EraserQueen
she got 'em 8. leahfelicity - received EraserQueen, Amerasu, TabLynn, Meran
she got 'em 9. Meran - received Amerasu, Judithian, leahfelicity, TabLynn
she got 'em 10. Judithian - received Adriayna, Gingersnap, Meran, al fresco gal
she got 'em 11. al fresco gal-received Adriayna, Judithian, Gingersnap, pixeldog

EraserQueen
07-25-2007, 10:32 PM
So birches would be acceptable? I can do decent birches! :)

Gingersnap
07-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Yes, birch trees are among my favorite. Any type of tree like elm, birch, green ash, weeping willows, etc.

EraserQueen
07-25-2007, 10:44 PM
yay! I would like to join then please!

Gingersnap
07-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Awesome! Now I feel at home. Thank you for signing up, EraserQueen.

Amerasu
07-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Me too, this sounds like fun and good practice for me since I rarely do trees and nature.

Gingersnap
07-25-2007, 11:55 PM
I hope you enjoy doing them. I just loose myself in drawing trees. It is absolutely my favorite thing to draw next to protraits.

TabLynn
07-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Ooooo! I collect tree cards and I'm partial to the realistic style ones. I guess I have to join this one. And I could use the practice too...

Gingersnap
07-25-2007, 11:59 PM
Welcome, TabLynn. Thank you for signing up.

adriayna
07-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Woot! Judi, I just love you and your ideas! (that means, sign me up. I've been wanting to paint white birches. Without swirls, even!)

Gingersnap
07-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Fabulous, adriayna, bring on the birches. I know it will be hard not to add swirls, but be strong. LOL

adriayna
07-26-2007, 01:25 AM
I know. I can handle it. Deep breaths. That line in the first post "REALISTIC--NOT FUNKY" it was for me :P.

Pixeldog
07-26-2007, 07:23 AM
Do you mind if I play in trees too. I promise I won't put any sunglasses on them.

Gingersnap
07-26-2007, 01:49 PM
I love your sunglass tree, especially since I was going to make one just like it, until I saw yours. LOL You are in. Birches? I so love your trees.

Anonevyl
07-26-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm in! You can't make me leaf. I love to branch out. My imagination is taking root.

Gingersnap
07-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Very imaginative, Anonevyl. Keep the imagination going as you emBARK on this art challenge.

leahfelicity
07-27-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm in! You can't make me leaf. I love to branch out. My imagination is taking root.

OUCH.

You know, this is really uncharacteristic of me, since all I do is whimsical illustrations of people, but you know, this site is making me want to take the hELM of my illustration style and try something new. I can't help it. You guys are making me SAPpy.

Gingersnap
07-27-2007, 09:29 PM
I can tell this is going to be fun. Keep up the creativity you darlings. I can't think of anything funny to add to this right now. I just spent 6 hours babysitting my 2 year old grandson and my little brain is worn to a frazzle.

Thanks for signing up leahfelicity. I will be really really interested to see what you come up with. Just remember realistic, not funky. LOL I know anything you do will be OAKay with me. There I came up with yet another one. LOL

EraserQueen
07-28-2007, 01:55 AM
Okay..I have made three, and they are similar in appearance to this one, i.e. they have that kind of background http://www.illustratedatcs.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=232

The tree itself is realistic, but is this what you had in mind? If you want more realism..I can trade these to dana or whoever :D So feel free to say 'no-way'

leahfelicity
07-28-2007, 03:56 AM
Ooooh. I think that tree is gorgeous. I think that the funky background brings out the realism of the tree itself, but then, I could be wrong. (Either way, let's not get in a FUNK about it!)

HOLLY mother of g-d, I have a serious impulse control problem. I couldn't've ASTERed for a better swap. (Yes, I know that the aster is really more of a flowery bush deal -- don't put me in the DOGWOODhouse over it. No need to SYCAMORE the animals on me.)

You guys, in order to maintain my POPLARity and my devotion to this swap, I, too, will submit my trees FIR your viewing when I've done them. I PINE to see others', too, in the PALM of my hand or online.

PS -- I couldn't figure out how to work in "buckeye." I'm sad about this. Honestly.

Meran
07-28-2007, 05:37 AM
Sorry. I can't TOP (as in of the tree) that last POST ( as in used to be a tree) but I can work in Buckeye. My little black boy pomeranian Buckeye loves to water any TREE. Should I put his silhouette in somewhere? (that's really his name; well, his paper name is Sir Buckeye Licks a Lot D'Bonk, but we call him Bucky or Boo or hey!)
Ink me in, please. How could a Druidwoman (me) NOT do trees?
I can do September.. by then the rain will be back in Oregon, and no outside house painting will be possible.

Meran ni Cuill (last name means of the clan of Hazel, which IS a tree, btw)

Gingersnap
07-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Leahfelicity, you are a hoot. It is good to make me laugh right now. I need a little spirit lifting.

Meran, you are signed up. Thanks for joining us. Lucky you, to live in such a beautiful state as Oregon.

Gingersnap
07-28-2007, 12:40 PM
EraserQueen, lovely tree, the background is a bit funky though and if it is "stamped" or "stenciled" does not qualify for handdrawn/handpainted. That is probably my error though as I posted a sample card that had a handwritting stamp over the background. I have since removed it. Sorry for the error.

Meran
07-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Gingersnap,
a question if I may, I'm not going to do it, but still interesting technique..
About EQ's tree background.. (and she may have done this, I don't know, I'm just plugging along here).. one of my glass techniques is to lay down anything from edged paper to a piece of cardstock that has holes punched in it, and sprinkle the glass powder on, pull up the cardstock and leave behind the resulting pattern.
Now if instead, I painted across the top of it, leaving paint behind, then pulled up the cardstock, would that be still too mechanical? (which I'm assuming is NOT what you want) It's still hand painted, just partially shielded.
Meran

Gingersnap
07-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Hi Meran,
The only way I can answer this is by setting a verbal example of what I mean by NATURAL. If, you stand in front of a tree and look behind it, is what you are talking about going to be what you see in real life behind the tree? I am really looking for what one would see in a forest or anywhere trees grow. A natural setting with the tree trunk as the primary part of the art, grass and sky as the background. I guess when I look at trees in my yard, I personally don't see polka dots in any medium. Just click on my samples in this thread and that should help. Thanks for asking. I frequently do what you are talking about, but in this instance I don't think that would bring about a natural setting, but then I am not there seeing what you are see.

EraserQueen
07-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Gotcha! I'll make new ones! :D

Amerasu
07-29-2007, 02:36 AM
Oohh, those are lovely samples, Gingersnap. I'm looking forward to this swap :)

Gingersnap
07-30-2007, 12:41 PM
I am excited to see the beautiful trees that everyone comes up with. I hope they all have lots of detail in the trunks.

TabLynn
07-31-2007, 03:21 AM
Mine are done! You can preview in my gallery since I can't figure out how to attach files in the thread.

Amerasu
07-31-2007, 03:59 AM
Wow!!! Those are fantastic Tablynn! Love them all :)

Gingersnap
08-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Mine are done! You can preview in my gallery since I can't figure out how to attach files in the thread.

Your trees are exactly what I was looking for. They are wonderful. I love every one of them.

NOTE: When you want to attach things in a thread, just go to the bottom of your reply to where it says Attach Files, click on Manage Attachments and then make sure your files do not exceed the size limits. Hope that helps.

leahfelicity
08-06-2007, 05:15 PM
I started sketching out a few trees, but they look a bit abstract, so I think I'm going to wind up re-doing them... this isn't the OS, after all...
They're here (http://www.illustratedatcs.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=834).

Gingersnap
08-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I received TabLynn's cards today and they are "right on the money". Beautiful work.

Judithian
08-10-2007, 05:40 AM
Sounds wonderful - I've been meaning to do a painting on Methuselah (the oldest tree in the world).

Gingersnap
08-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Hi Judithian, thanks for signing up. I have you on the list. Sorry for the delay, I was at DisneyWorld Florida and just came back late last night.

Gingersnap
08-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Welcome to my swap, al fresco gal. I am so happy you are joining us.

Amerasu
08-18-2007, 07:16 PM
I just finished one, yay :)

Hope to have them all done today. I'm on a roll, lol

Gingersnap
08-25-2007, 03:40 PM
How are your trees coming along, everyone?

Gingersnap
08-25-2007, 07:41 PM
I received incredible trees today from Amerasu. Wonderful details.

Gingersnap
09-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Leaves are beginning to fall and that offers a nice, unobstucted view of tree trunks. Get your pencils going.

EraserQueen
09-05-2007, 07:09 PM
LOL, I am a fruitcake, I thought this was a three for three swap! I'll make one more and send 'em out to you!

Judithian
09-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Well as I decided to do specific trees and render till I can't see straight, mine should be done by 2010 :eek:

Seriously though - I hope to finish this week and will post as I go. Hope you'll like them.

Gingersnap
09-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Judithian, I know they will be very good.

Amerasu
09-10-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm so looking forward to this swap! Especially since I put together my tree canvas of ATCs. It looks so cool that I can't wait to add to it :)

EraserQueen
09-10-2007, 10:33 PM
WOW Sal, those are amazing!!! Who did them?

Gingersnap
09-11-2007, 02:15 PM
What a beautiful collection of trees, Sal. I recognize many of the artists. You and Dana have inspired me to get mine out of their binder and display them. Absolutely beautiful!

Amerasu
09-11-2007, 04:28 PM
WOW Sal, those are amazing!!! Who did them?

Lots of people, including a few here - adriayna, livia, OY, seraphic, nicky, margaret baxter, harriet, kitty, crafter412, minagi... and quite a few others. I didn't even collect trees really. I've been collecting autum leaves and autumn trees and had a few trades that way but now that I've sorted them, I'd love to collect more :)

Judithian
09-12-2007, 06:10 AM
Okay, here's my rendered tree. Not certain if the web file does it much justice. http://www.illustratedatcs.com/forum/gallery/index.php?n=1581 I love the way the tree looks like a woman at one angle and a horse (or dragon) head coming down at the other. I think I'll paint it one day.

Amerasu
09-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Beautiful Judithian!! It's lovely :)

Gingersnap
09-12-2007, 01:44 PM
The rest of us really have our work cut out for us. Wow, Judithian, what a fabulous piece of work.

EraserQueen
09-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Well, I'm blown away! Beautiful, truly!

Judithian
09-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Awwww - Shucks everyone - you're making me blush. :embarrassed:. Thanks. As my first official swap, I wanted to honor all your wonderful giften work.

Swaggertoes
09-12-2007, 05:29 PM
OK, where do you live Judithian, and what time are you not at home so I can steal that tree?

^_^

Judithian
09-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Umm - midtown? Is that specific enough? he he.

I'll try to give your nude flying man the same attention. That way you won't have to come all the way back to Savannah. Unless you're missing old Savannah. They say once you've gotten that nasty sand between your toes you can never really leave. I know - I've moved away 3 times before I gave up and made it home.

Swaggertoes
09-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I miss it sometimes. OMG, a huge St. Bernard just trotted down the street outside my window...lol...and there goes the man chasing him.

OK that was random...but it just happened. There are people walking around all over the place today. There goes the dog agian....

EraserQueen
09-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Yay! Mine have been sent out today!

adriayna
09-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Judi, I dropped mine in the mail today too :)

Gingersnap
09-17-2007, 08:06 PM
I received your trees today, Dana. They are the best you have ever done. I love each and every one. I hope you are feeling better. I missed our paper making session, but am looking forward to the next opportunity.

adriayna
09-18-2007, 02:51 AM
Oh good. I'm glad you recieved them ok, and I'm glad you like them. Best I ever done? Wow! What a compliment Judi! Thank you so much, that made my day! :).

I think I caught the 24 hour flu. That, or a bad turkey sandwich! I'm feeling much better now. And papermaking will happen again soon!

Gingersnap
09-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Excellent tree cards. I love all of the details. There is so much movement in them. Great work, Annie.

Meran
09-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Mine are done. Will be scanned later. Not sure if they'll be mailed tomorrow or not. But soon!
Meran

Gingersnap
09-18-2007, 09:31 PM
I am looking forward to seeing them, Meran. Thank you.

EraserQueen
09-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks! I was worried about them :eek: So I'm glad yoiu like them :jiggy:

Gingersnap
09-18-2007, 10:11 PM
They are very beautiful, Annie. I would love to every one of them, but I guess I have to share.

adriayna
09-19-2007, 02:16 AM
Its terrible, hosting swaps on here! All the cards are great and its so hard to part with them, hehe :)

Meran
09-19-2007, 02:49 AM
yeah, maybe that's why I'm starting to plan some swaps! I'm greedy!
bwahhahahaha
Meran

Meran
09-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Mine are in my gallery. sorry I didn't post them here; I've been having bad luck with that.
Gingersnap, would you mind checking them to make sure that's what you wanted? btw, I liked every one of them. Enjoyed doing them too. All the trees except for the pine are on my property. The pines border it, so they're kinda mine ;)
Meran

Gingersnap
09-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Very nice trees, Meran. I really like that you chose trees from your yard. I like the trunks especially.

Meran
09-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Good. I did well then. I sprayed them with fixative 3 times, so far. I want to make sure they can be handled or jostled in their little plastic covers without smearing all over creation!
One is yours, btw. :) which one will you keep, have you decided? My favorite is the Red Plum Tree. (I started with that one.) Personally, that tree and I have a relationship. Hopefully, I can save it. I think it has borers. Not sure. Will be spraying all the fruit trees this year, after leaf fall, with bordeaux solution. It's a bit radical, but should take care of any fungal stuff too. Oregon is good for fungus! lol
I will miss these.
Meran

leahfelicity
09-19-2007, 10:56 PM
I just finished mine... sending them out tomorrow morning!

Gingersnap
09-21-2007, 12:11 PM
I will be watching for them Leah. Thanks for the update.

Pixeldog
09-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Just a quickie note to let you know that my cards hit the mail this morning.

Gingersnap
09-25-2007, 12:37 AM
I will be watching for them, Pixeldog.

Gingersnap
09-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Yes, everyone has been heard from and all cards are on their way. It won't be long now until returns go out.

EraserQueen
09-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Yay! I'm really looking forward to the returns :)

Anonevyl
09-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Here are 3 of the 5 that I will be sending out - I have a Cyprus that is almost done, but somehow I have lost the willow I was working on. I cannot find it anywhere - and I had it last night when I was getting the finished ones prepped. Weird....still looking....

576 577 578

EraserQueen
09-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Anne: Those are so beautiful! Love the texture :D

And YAY Blackadder is BACK :jiggy: (Who was that other dude in your avatar??)

Anonevyl
09-26-2007, 03:42 PM
That was Vyvyan - from the Young Ones. Classic 80's Brit Com - they used to show it on Comedy Central waaay back when it was called something else and they actually showed comedy that was funny.

Gingersnap
09-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Anonevyl, those are brilliant trees. Way to go!

Gingersnap
09-26-2007, 04:52 PM
I received wonderful cards today from Meran and leahfelicity.

adriayna
09-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Lovely trees!!!!

Gingersnap
09-29-2007, 06:42 PM
I received incredibly beautiful cards today from anonevyl and Judithian. Thank you ladies.

ALL CARDS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED AND THEY WILL ME IN THE MAIL TO YOU ON OCTOBER 1ST. THANK YOU ALL FOR DOING SUCH FABULOUS WORK WITH YOUR TREES. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS.

adriayna
09-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Thank YOU judi for hosting this great swap!

Anonevyl
09-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Yay!!! Thank you, kind hostess.

Gingersnap
10-01-2007, 03:18 PM
All cards have been sorted and are on their way to each of you. Please be so kind as to PM me when they arrive. Thanks to all for sending beautiful cards and I hope you love your returns.

Meran
10-06-2007, 12:22 AM
I love my trees, Gingersnap! So, thanks to LeahFelicity for tree #1, Tablynn for the Palo Verde Tree, Amerasu's (#0643), and Gingersnap herself for a great study of Adam's Tree. thanks to you all! And I'm wondering how I'm going to show off these beauties! We're thinking of putting up several plate rails on the walls. That way I can just prop them up when they come.. and a little Museum Gel should keep them from gusting away from any wind when the door is opened.
Meran

Judithian
10-06-2007, 05:22 PM
I got my cards, I got my cards (she says, dancing around in circles, dumping her tea into her lap). It's so exciting to participate in my first swap.

Let's see...
* Meran - I reaceived a lovely Red Plum Tree - it's wonderful! You can almost feel it blowing in the wind.
* Adriayna - OOOOOOOOOO, I love the White Birches - especially the delightful cool winter morning feel.
* Gingersnap - I'm trully honored - you have such a gift with nature. I can tell you are a tree hugger for certain.
* AlFrescoGal - your winter tree is perfect. I love the delicate purple shadow and those rare leaves holding on.

Thanks everyone! I LOVE THEM! (now let me go clean up the sticky sweet tea pooling at my feet LOL).

Gingersnap
10-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Meran and Judithan
I am so happy that you liked your trees. I think everyone did perfect trees and I was so pleased and proud to pass them on to each of you.

Anonevyl
10-07-2007, 03:25 AM
I got my little forest today - all the trees are AMAZING!!!!

Thank you to Pixel Dog - the Winter Trees are stunning to say the least, Tablynn - wicked awesome, Amerasu - you did a tree!!! (and it's just as good as your people), and Eraser Queen - uber faboo card!!!

I shall do a little dance now in honor of the incredible stuff I just got.

:jiggy:

Gingersnap
10-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Excellent! I am so happy that you received and loved your cards, Anne.

EraserQueen
10-07-2007, 01:25 PM
YAY! Got mine!

Anne: LOVE your willow, I had one near my back yard when I was little, and so did my grandparents, love them.

LeahF: Very cool! :D

Tab: I love the Desert feel to this one, awesome!

Dana: OMG, love your birches, my favorite tree :D

Thanks Judithann for hosting, this was fun! :D

adriayna
10-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Glad you like the birches, Judithann and EQ! :)

Meran
10-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Judithian, that Red Plum Tree was my fave of the bunch! Take good care of her! lol
Meran

Judithian
10-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Oooo - I must confess - it was my favorite of your bunch as well. I was so surprised and pleased to receive it. Thanks again. :D

TabLynn
10-09-2007, 11:35 PM
I received my beautiful trees today from Meran (Cherry Tree), leahfelicity (Tree 3), EraserQueen (Fall Journey), and Anonevyl (Cyprus). Thanks everyone for such fab trees and to Gingersnap for hosting!