PDA

View Full Version : P&P vs. MMA Help?

EvisceratedUnicorn
09-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Hiya!

So I think I messaged someone about this forever and a half ago, but I honestly can't remember.

I've got some cool papers that are either too heavily patterned or too textured/glossy for me to draw on. I wanted to do ATCs/bookmarks/etc. with them by pasting things I've drawn onto them, but am not sure if it would be considered out of my division. I've done a layered card before for the Geeky CAT, but all the layers were drawn by me.

I actually made this card yesterday, but am iffy on posting it here because I don't know if it'd be considered MMA and I'd be breaking any rules. The main "focus" is something I drew and cut out (Xacto Z series are FANTASTIC, by the way), but yeah. The background and the copper flower are making me wary of rule-breaking.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKORAG6D2Mr/

I do like this card and want to do more with the different layers and papers and all, but I'm not sure if I should also apply for MMA in order to do so.

Thanks and sorry for being dumb!

AnnD
09-12-2016, 05:13 PM
You're not being dumb at all! We try to avoid creating a rules-intensive environment, and that leads to questions like this one, which is a completely legitimate inquiry.

Here's my 15 cents:

Cutting and pasting something you drew onto a patterned paper is still P&P. You're good there. :dude:

Adding the copper flower is getting uncomfortably close to collage territory. I would say probably not in that instance. :)

kosmicgirl
09-12-2016, 05:45 PM
Why not apply? I mean... what's the worst thing that could happen? Do what you love, and it will be awesome. In the meantime, if you are looking for feedback of a different variety than "cool", "great", "fab-tastic" - why not open a thread here for your experiments? As far as I know, in a thread in the "sketchbook" section you can post any kind of art you feel like? (Ann, better correct me if I'm wrong)

AnnD
09-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Oh absolutely! Anyone who isn't an MMA member is welcome to post MMA work in sketchbook (and many other) threads, just not in the gallery. :)

And yes, P&P members can put together a portfolio and PM an Admin to set up a vote at any time!

EvisceratedUnicorn
09-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Why not apply? I mean... what's the worst thing that could happen? Do what you love, and it will be awesome. In the meantime, if you are looking for feedback of a different variety than "cool", "great", "fab-tastic" - why not open a thread here for your experiments? As far as I know, in a thread in the "sketchbook" section you can post any kind of art you feel like? (Ann, better correct me if I'm wrong)

I actually do have a sketchbook thread! I was going to delete all the posts that are in it and start anew, as I don't think I can literally delete the whole thread.

Oh absolutely! Anyone who isn't an MMA member is welcome to post MMA work in sketchbook (and many other) threads, just not in the gallery. :)

And yes, P&P members can put together a portfolio and PM an Admin to set up a vote at any time!

I was thinking about doing that. I figured pasting a drawn item or several drawn items on a background would be all right, but the extra embellishments were probably really iffy. I might do more similar items and send a deviantART sta.sh folder to admins for the judgement of doom, or I might just give up on the "OOOH SHINY MUST STICK ON!" deal. :P

Thanks, guys! <3

AnnD
09-12-2016, 06:45 PM
Happy to help!

And if you want me to delete the thread (because: easier), I am happy to do that. Just holler. :dude:

EvisceratedUnicorn
09-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Happy to help!

And if you want me to delete the thread (because: easier), I am happy to do that. Just holler. :dude:

:rainbow:

That'd actually be great! Thanks again!!! :D

(Also, I think I still owe you a Mimikyu card)