PDA

View Full Version : Think outside the box?

Veterok.
02-19-2014, 06:48 PM
I have been thinking about this for a while now, and just can't resist the urge anymore. It's just an idea a 3/3 or 6/6 ATC swap, with open theme. Anything goes. The only rule is to challenge yourself with tools and media. You could challenge yourself with an unfamiliar theme too, if you feel like it - that's up to you.

The idea is to make something very different from what you usually make: Using a medium you're not so familiar with. For example if you usually draw with markers, try acrylics or watercolour, or coloured pencils. If you like watercolours, try making your ATC only with markers! If you don't usually do sketches or "lineart", try making a pencil sketch, then make the lineart, erase the sketch and colour the piece. Voilá. The decision is up to the artist: Everyone knows their methods and possible weaknesses too, so the catch is to ponder about these for a while and to set a challenge suitable for yourself.

I'm always amazed at what people make when they step out from their comfort zone, tool- and medium-wise. Sometimes people don't even realise what kind of opportunities they miss when they only stick to some style or tool, and then it all becomes clear when they try something different. It's very inspiring to see how their style and attitude towards making art often changes so completely.

The initial reasons why many people stick to just one medium or style are not always good ones; this kind of rigid idea of only working with one technique or style easily passivates the artist in the long run. Sometimes people are intimidated by medium they're not familiar with, or they think they need to attend some class or read lots of tutorials first, before even trying anything. Sometimes people think they need to get it "right", to use media and tools in a "correct way". In my opinion, this is all a load of rubbish. The single most important thing is to grab the tools and start making. I bet you all know this, too! You will learn by actually using those pencils or paints, and it's fun. If it's not fun, your mind is just set the wrong way. I personally think the idea of trying to use tools and media in a "correct way" (whatever that is? I assume that people probably learn this from books and tutorials) hinders the artist from getting in touch with their true creative potential.

And if you don't really know how to use pencils or paints, you can always ask from someone who looks more familiar with the said medium. Especially on a forum like iATCs, where people are specialized in very different techniques, one probably finds help and ideas easily. It might be an interesting learning curve. Most of all I think it would be lots of fun.

Who would be interested in a swap like this? What do you think?
(Also it would be awesome if someone would like to host a swap like this, as I'm not so sure of my own hosting capabilities at the moment..)

:rainbow:

Colourfulleigh
02-19-2014, 07:12 PM
AWESOME idea Veterok. I'd totally be in! I'm itching to try out acrylics.....

kosmicgirl
02-19-2014, 09:16 PM
I second Leigh. I have been looking for an excuse to break out that acrylic paint in my cupboard

jmmbarkovich
02-20-2014, 01:20 AM
I third the nomination - does that make it a quorum? You might want to call it #1 Open Theme; Media Challenge...or words to that effect. Wonderful idea, Veterok!

Veterok.
02-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Cool! I've been thinking of perhaps doing something with markers and microns myself : D Just because I hate it so. Another technique which always makes me feel weird is graphite drawings so that woul be interesting too.. I can't remember the last time I actually made a graphite drawing, these days I always sketch with things like watercolours or coloured pencils etc. if I sketch something or draw croquis...

EraserQueen
02-20-2014, 02:47 PM
This does sounds cool! I think the only thing that would be outside my box though would be carved stamps because I don't do it very often...that is sort of drawn...would that count?

Veterok.
02-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Sure, that would be really interesting. I don't think carved stamps are against the rules of the site or anything, are they?

EraserQueen
02-20-2014, 04:38 PM
No, they aren't! It's whatever folks are jurried in for.. You mentioned a lot of drawing media, so I wasn't sure if you were restricting the challenge to that or not!

kosmicgirl
02-20-2014, 07:07 PM
I just remembered a picture I saw way back on deviantart drawn in green tea. This might be a great opportunity to try that old "OMG - I need to try that out" ! This would be such a cool swap...

EraserQueen
02-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Green tea? That sounds really cool! I've seen coffee, but not green tea :D

Kitten Heart
02-21-2014, 08:58 AM
I often feel stuck in my style and in my media, which is why I love the PATs, they force me out of my comfort zone. so I say yay to a "bring me out of my comfort zone" swap! :)

Veterok.
02-21-2014, 02:20 PM
I have painted with black tea and coffee, but never with green tea. How does it look like? Sounds interesting!

sabrinalouisemiller
02-21-2014, 08:48 PM
This really is a great idea.

kosmicgirl
02-26-2014, 07:48 PM
Found the green tea artist on deviantart:
http://briankesinger.deviantart.com/art/Green-tea-287312055

I never tried coffee either... see? I need this swap!

WideEyedLife
03-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Just so we would have a long time to make our art---I can see several boo-boos happening in a row! lol Need time for re-dos when the first experiments are epic fails. :)

Cricket
03-07-2014, 01:17 PM
I love this idea! I've done some art with markers, but I'm still really terrified of them...:cthulhu: So markers would be my 'outside the box' medium.

Veterok.
03-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Seems we have a bunch of people ready to join! Gaaahhh I so wish someone more reliable and less busy would host this though :D Any volunteers? If not, I'll give it a try after the Dog swap and other things are done with.

jmmbarkovich
03-08-2014, 02:49 PM
But you make such a fine host, Veterok! :yes: